Sunday, October 21, 2012

Why Now?

Why now, you may ask. Is it something to do with the seasons? Am I going through another "mid" life crisis? Perhaps Jupiter's alignment with the moon?

Well, I have no idea where Jupiter is in relation to the moon. I don't even know what that really means... But there seems to have been some sort of cosmic shift that got me thinking a couple months ago: I can do that. I want to start a business. I want to make and share beautiful things. So here are a few things that I considered for myself before launch. Of course, there were a lot of other things that I had to work through before today, but for now, let's just focus on me! 

Timing
I feel like I'm at a very interesting crossroads in my life right now. My job is incredibly challenging and enriching, but I still feel like something is missing from my daily work. I spend most of my days thinking about and facilitating a 'process.' Much of my career to this point has been dedicated to this cause and I find great joy from working towards something I so passionately believe in. Yet, I would still come home feeling unfulfilled. I need this right now. I need something I still love to do, but something that has concrete tasks - a start and a finish, something tangible I can hold in my hand once I'm done.

Energy
I've spent the past three years reflecting on my career. I recently left a position with an organization that I absolutely loved, but had to let go of because of the emotional and physical toll it took on me. I moved across country and had a wonderful opportunity to explore the side of me that revels in creativity. Since then, I continue to hunger for opportunities to play with my craft supplies! I've also had this recent insatiable curiosity: What can I do with my special powers!? I have a new found interest and, like I said, curiosity about a side of me I have yet to fully explore: starting something from scratch and being an entrepreneur. 

Inspiration
My friends and loved ones inspire me daily. Whether they are fighting for something they believe in, standing up for others who don't get to have a voice, taking the plunge to try something new, or starting something from scratch, I am so fortunate to know others who are passionate about what they do and are willing to take daily risks. I draw on their energy and am compelled to join them!

So I write today, as I open my first shop on Etsy, with a celebratory joy. It's certainly a small step, but I'm confident that it's just the start of this new journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment