Friday, November 2, 2012

Words of Encouragement

As I launch into this new line of work, I am excited daily by my discoveries. I have not felt this energy, focus and desire in some time, and get lost in my work until long into the night even after working my full time job.

A few weeks ago, I was at the library and picked up Country Living's Book: "Crafting a Business; Make Money Doing What you Love" by Kathie Fitzgerald. I wasn't sure what I would find, but skimmed the title and the beautiful pictures and thought, 'why not?' After browsing through the short stories and profiles of other business women, I found I had stumbled on a gem. Each story depicts a woman who either found a way to transform their passion into a business, grew their passion from a hobby, or stumbled on their passion by a series of accidents. Some stories resonated with me more than others, but each came with a message of courage, determination and inspiration. Here are three women and three quotes that caught my attention:

"You have to make creativity a habit."
Lisa Norris: Made By One Girl, Chattanooga, TN  

"The one thing you should do is just start. You have to begin somewhere."
Denise Allen: Allen's 19th Century General Store, Palatine Bridge, NY

"I learned that failure is not the worst thing in the world and that fear of it was my biggest obstacle."
Barbara Schriber: Barbara Schriber Designs, Sandpoint, ID

Each message responds to some of my own insecurities and questions. Am I doing the right thing? Is this worth the work? What if I'm not successful? As each woman pushed through their own insecurities and challenges, they share stories of being rewarded: of being found, of finding happiness and success, the reward of being challenged and working hard. 

I share these with you in hopes that you find solace in knowing you're not alone! 

What or who do you turn to when you're losing confidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment